MyoBridge - Direct Myo <-> Ardiuno Communication

by Vivo

Sadly i don't have an Bluetooth device with an HM-10 or HM-11 chip built-in.

I Have a couple of devices with the CSR BC417 chip on, and two BlueSmirf Silver (using the RN42).

Can i Use this firmware in any way to get my Myo to communicate to my Arduino through these devices?

And if, what should i do different than in the Wiki?

I really would appreciate some advice

by valentinrol

@jb33 Do you mean enabling pose notifications and IMU data at the same time? That should not be a problem, as far as I know. Just combine the pose data and IMU examples. Or do you mean something different?

@ewen As long as you're still using the same pin and uploaded the sketch properly, it should work. Maybe check if you use the right COM port? I have to admit that I don't know if the Micro is different in any way…

@Vivo Unfortunately no, you cannot use them. They are based on another chip and do not support Bluetooth Low Energy, which is essential to communicate with Myo.
by ewen

I tried with an Arduino Leonardo and it's working better . But now I think my HM-10 is not working because CCLoader doesn't go further :

“Uploading firmware…

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16”
It is waiting but there is no answer. Someone knows if I have to buy an other HM-10 or not? If not, what I have to do to make it work?
I am sorry about my silly questions.

Last edit: Jan. 15, 2016 03:05 AM

by liulin

Amazing!!Last night,I saw this topic , I would have bought hm-11 chip.I hope i can success!~~~
by Manar

Hello everyone, anyone have a code sample that allows me to control a servo using a Myo on Arduino ?
Thanks…
by Vivo

by Manar
Hello everyone, anyone have a code sample that allows me to control a servo using a Myo on Arduino ?Thanks…
I also would be interested in something like that!
In my case I'm trying to use two servos: one controlled by movement in the x-axis the other by movement in the y-axis, using the IMU data.

have somebody done something like that?

Kind regards,

Nico

Last edit: Jan. 18, 2016 04:03 AM

by ewen

Hello,
Is the firmware compatible with the CC2540?
If not, what should I do to make it compatible?
Thanks for your help,
by valentinrol

You can get the Myo Orientation as a quaternion, then just extract your x and y movements. Just look up the formulas. I did something like that with matrices, see https://github.com/vroland/MyoIMUGestureController .
Using this data to control a servo shouldn't be that hard, Arduino has a “Servo” library.

@ewen: I did not test it myself for the 2540, but I have a compiled image for it. (see page 2) But as always, try at your own risk

Also, I'm sorry I can't provide that much support at the moment. I'm currently travelling and don't have any Arduinos, etc with me
by jerzeek

Thanks man!
by Vivo

by valentinrol
You can get the Myo Orientation as a quaternion, then just extract your x and y movements. Just look up the formulas. I did something like that with matrices, see https://github.com/vroland/MyoIMUGestureController .Using this data to control a servo shouldn't be that hard, Arduino has a “Servo” library.

Thank you for your first reply.

If i understood you correct you talking about the sequence in the matrix.cpp:
/**
* convert a myo unit quaternion to a 3x3 matrix
* http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/3d/quaternions.html
*/
void unit_quaternion_to_matrix(Matrix33 &matrix, int16_t* quat) {

//convert the raw data in unit quaternion of floats.
float x = clip((float)quat / (MYOHW_ORIENTATION_SCALE), -.999999, .999999);
float y = clip((float)quat / (MYOHW_ORIENTATION_SCALE), -.999999, .999999);
float z = clip((float)quat / (MYOHW_ORIENTATION_SCALE), -.999999, .999999);
float w = clip((float)quat / (MYOHW_ORIENTATION_SCALE), -.999999, .999999);

matrix = 1-2*y*y-2*z*z;
matrix = 2*x*y-2*w*z;
matrix = 2*x*z+2*w*y;

matrix = 2*x*y+2*w*z;
matrix = 1-2*x*x-2*z*z;
matrix = 2*y*z-2*w*x;

matrix = 2*x*z-2*w*y;
matrix = 2*y*z+2*w*x;
matrix = 1-2*x*x-2*y*y;
}

and using these float values “x,y,z,w” for moving the servos?
if so, how do i call them in my main sketch? I have to admit that I'm not so experienced in diving into libraries that much

Maybe it helps to describe what i want to use it for:
I working on an artifact that should be controlled by the myo… its an fan which levitates a ball (you maybe know the experiment of an hairdryer levitating an ping pong ball…). The fan is mounted on an 2 axis platform (one servo tilting in the x direction the other in the y direction). Furthermore is the height (air pressure) of the ball controllable by the arm movement in the z direction.
The EMG data is used by 8 LEDs which lights the ball depending on the muscles activity in different colors/brightness.

Hope this helps to understand what I need to do

Maybe somebody has an advice how to acquire the necessary readings since i have the impression everything is already available from the MyoIMUGestureController and MyoBridge library.

Kind regards, Nico
Moderator control