MyoBridge - Direct Myo <-> Ardiuno Communication

by gilhrpenner

by wxirxn
by gilhrpennerYes, it's all connected.3.3v to VCCGND to GNDD4 to ResetD5 to DDD6 to DCDon't laugh at my set-up Doing everything with one hand sucks lolIt seems that you have soldered the wires onto the wrong side of the HM-10 board. They should be on the left side, with the antenna facing the top. Also, D5 should be connected to DC and D6 to DD.
I just changed to the right pins but still getting that error
by wxirxn

by gilhrpenner
I just changed to the right pins but still getting that error

I just added you on Skype; might be easier to help from there (:
by gilhrpenner

Yay! I finally got it working, thanks to wxirxn!
Even without a logic level converter and only using 1k and 2k resistors I worked.

If anyone is having troubles with CCLoader fell free to add me on Skype gilhrp@outlook.com
I'm no expert and actually only starting with Arduino but I needed this to work so I could finish my prosthetic hand so if you're a beginner and needs help shoot me a message

Here's my set-up.

Last edit: Nov. 29, 2015 11:54 AM

by valentinrol

@gilhrpenner That's good to hear! Now you only need to connect the RX/TX pins properly and you should be able to communicate with the Firmware using the example sketches.

@wxirxn Indeed, that looks like some communication problem, maybe a problem with the TX line, as you still receive status updates. A level converter is definitely the safer option, so we'll see if that helps
by gilhrpenner

RX/TX pins are properly connected and your examples are running already! So pumped to get my motor and start using my hand lol
by eric_castro

by gilhrpenner
RX/TX pins are properly connected and your examples are running already! So pumped to get my motor and start using my hand lol

awesome to hear man! show us your progress (maybe start another thread?) that will be cool!
by wxirxn

by valentinrol
@wxirxn Indeed, that looks like some communication problem, maybe a problem with the TX line, as you still receive status updates. A level converter is definitely the safer option, so we'll see if that helps

Strangely, after helping @gilhrpenner, he told me that the examples worked fine for him without a voltage divider from D3 to RX. I tried using a direct connection from D3 to RX, and the examples started working!

One concern I have is that long-term 5V input to my HM-11 would damage it…is it worth worrying over?
by gilhrpenner

Yes, that's one of my concerns too!
Good thing HM-10 is very cheap lol.
by valentinrol

Good to hear it was not a firmware issue And also good work @gilhrpenner! Same here, seeing your project would be very interesting

Applying 5V on a 3.3V digital pin can definitely cause damage and is beyond the absolute maximum ratings noted in the data sheet. But how about simply adjusting your voltage dividers? What ratio are you using currently? Just adjust the divider a bit to produce a slightly higher output voltage and you should be fine Or even better: Use the level converter.
by gilhrpenner

Power
The basic HM-10 module (and the two TI chips it is based on) works at 3.3V so it cannot be directly connected to a 5V microcontroller (e.g. Arduino). However the HM-10 breakout boards integrate voltage (DC-DC) and logic level converters (LLC) so that their pins can be directly wired to an Arduino.

source

If I understood well then I don't need to worry about using a logic level converter right? I've been using my HM-10 for weeks on 5v while communicating with my android and I've never had any issues before.
Moderator control