Is it possible to skip sync ?

by Nicolas.Dorier

I'd like to use the MYO for medical rehabilitation. My users are physically impaired and can't make the sync gesture. I don't need the gestures detections, only the quaternion of the MYO.
Is there a way to either skip or delegate the sync movement to another person ?

Normally I would have tried myself, but I sadly forgot to put my MYO in my luggage before traveling !
by tobyuct

Yes you can get quarternions without sync. You actually don't even have to wear the Myo to get them.
You also have access to raw emg data if that should be necessary.
Only the predefined gestures need syncing.
by PBernhardt TL

As Toby says, you will still get the orientation and EMG data without syncing. The issue will be that without being synced, the Myo armband will fall asleep quite quickly if it's not moved around. Whether that's a problem for you or not depends on what exactly you are trying to measure.

If it is an issue, you can use the Bluetooth protocol directly and disable sleep:

http://developerblog.myo.com/myo-bluetooth-spec-released/
by Nicolas.Dorier

helpful thanks.
However, I believed that the sync had another pupose : calibrate the quaternion “at rest”.
If I do not calibrate, I fear that, if the user don't wear the armband EXACTLY as the previous sync, then the orientation will be messed up. (principally the Roll component)

Is that not the case ?

Last edit: June 25, 2015 09:59 AM

by PBernhardt TL

You will have to calculate it based on some reference orientation you have the user enter. It's generally recommended to do that anyway.
by Nicolas.Dorier

make sense, thanks a lot !
by antonello87

by PBernhardt
If it is an issue, you can use the Bluetooth protocol directly and disable sleep:http://developerblog.myo.com/myo-bluetooth-spec-released/

Hi Paul,
i need more or less the same things reported by Nicolas.Dorier. I need to disable the sleep because I don't know if my patients will be able to do the sync gesture. I read the article about bluetooth protocol but, being quite unexperienced with GATT and all this stuff, i don't know how to set sleep mode to myohw_sleep_mode_never_sleep. I just need to set this command. Is there any way to do it via SDK? Is there an option that I can change on MYO Connect?

Thanks in advance for help.
by @smngreenberg TL

Unfortunately this option currently isn't available via the SDK or in Myo Connect so setting it via the Bluetooth protocol would likely be the way to go.

It's possible that someone else may have already figured this out and shared the code, however nothing like that immediately comes to mind.

-Scott
by antonello87

Being totally inexperienced with Low-Level programming, do you have some C,C++ library or tool, or code snippets from which I can start?

In another post (https://developer.thalmic.com/forums/topic/2606/) someone wrote that i have to write my own SDK. What does this mean?

Antonello

Last edit: Oct. 2, 2015 10:35 AM

by @smngreenberg TL

It means you'll have to use the Bluetooth protocol instead of the SDK directly. This is comparable, although not exactly the same, to making your own Myo SDK.

-Scott
Moderator control