Sign language recognition

by helipilot50

I have Deaf friends who's primary language is Australian Sign Language (AusLan). I have learned that one of the most frustrating things for a Deaf person is to communicate fluently in English.

I am hoping that I can use two MYOs to recognize AusLan, which is a combination of hand shapes (gestures) and motion. I realize the level of research involved, I have a background in Machine Learning.

Has anyone started a project like this? Any advice or collaboration?
by Joe

The possibility of using Myo for ASL/AusLan translation was one of the aspects that drew me to the project, but I dont believe anyone is working on it yet because–as you have correctly identified–it is extremely complex for most.
by urge

by helipilot50
I have Deaf friends who's primary language is Australian Sign Language (AusLan). I have learned that one of the most frustrating things for a Deaf person is to communicate fluently in English. I am hoping that I can use two MYOs to recognize AusLan, which is a combination of hand shapes (gestures) and motion. I realize the level of research involved, I have a background in Machine Learning. Has anyone started a project like this? Any advice or collaboration?

This is a very interesting future for the Myo. But now I think is only future cause the hardware is not capable for recognizing individual finger poses. Imop is almost impossible with the use of raw EMG data also.
We need some more years until this technology will reach that state… but correct me if I am wrong.

Last edit: Dec. 9, 2014 04:43 PM

by zenith

Perfect finger pose recognition is not possible with MYO, it has other strengths,

Leap Motion would be better suited for this project, which can recognize fingers perfectly, but is tethered.
by saniel

Check out MiMu gloves. They were designed as a digital music controller, but I believe they would be perfect for this task, because they measure flex of each finger in two knuckles, plus they have motion sensors. It is kind of Open HW and SW.

http://mimu.org.uk/

Last edit: Jan. 16, 2015 03:16 PM

by Usai

Don't you have to record face gestures as well?
by holkien

Hey helipilot50, I wanted to build a device to convert ASL to spoken English, but have found that Myo Armbands don't work for individual finger movements. Instead, I have converted my project to Semaphore to Spoken and written English.

While not practical, I view it as proof of concept for when the armbands do become sensitive enough to pick up finger movements.

I am developing it for the STM32F429ZI discovery board and would be happy to share my code when I am done. I am currently having difficulties getting the information from the Bluetooth dongle. If anybody has a good example of code for the STM32F4XX line to recognize Bluetooth data that would be great if I could see it.
by abdelmalek

wow holkien
I ‘am looking forward to see your project working
I’am really interested and looking forward for your results , I had similar project for my graduation but it was for Arabic sign language
so good luck
Moderator control